Monday, November 20, 2006

Mrs. Petty Officer, I presume...part two

A few days later, my new husband and I went back to the personnel office. I was photographed and they handed me my shiny new Military ID. Other than my marriage license, it was the first item that had my new married name on it. I was beaming from ear to ear.

It was not until much later that I learned that one cannot do anything related to the military without that ID card. A valid military ID is needed to get on to a secure military base, to do any kind of shopping or activity on base, to go to a military medical facility, to talk to anyone about housing, benefits, school and so it goes.

There are essentially 3 types of military ID cards. The first one is green. It is for active duty military personnel. It is as valid as a passport for travel. The second one is a pink/peach color. That is for dependents. Benefits for dependents vary and are stated on the ID. Yes, that is correct, dependents. Being married to a sailor, I was considered a dependent - more specifically- a dependent wife. I felt weird as an adult woman being called a dependent, especially since I had been raised to be independent. Other people who fall into the dependent category are: children under the age 18 that the service member has a legal obligation to; a parent or grandparent the service member is supporting, a child of any age who has a significant disability and the service member is responsible for and the like. A non-married parent who shares legal obligation for a dependent child is not considered a dependent. For example: My boyfriend is in the military and I get pregnant. I (the not married to the service member pregnant woman) am not considered a dependent, but my unborn child is. I can get pre-natal care for the baby and myself. Once the baby is born s/he gets a dependent ID card, but the not married mother never gets a military ID card. The third common type of military ID is blue. That is for retired military personnel, or disabled and honorably discharged service members.

No comments: